Sunday, May 25, 2008



I am sitting at the kitchen table watching the neighbors get a bag of dog poop off of their roof. (see that white thing in the bottom corner of the roof... it's poop!) The children were out cleaning up the yard and the little girl started swinging it around. When I saw her flinging the bag of poop I thought it probably wasn't a very good idea because, um, it's a bag of poop. Then the next thing I know the bag of poop is on their roof. That is freakin hysterical...

Other than that we have had a lovely Memorial Day Weekend. John has had to work the entire weekend so Samantha and I hung out and did mommy & daughter things. On Saturday we went to the Groveport Arts Festival. It was wonderful. The weather was perfect and it was fun to stroll along Main Street looking at and talking about all the different art. It is interesting to see what she likes and why she likes different paintings. One of the artist asked Samantha what she thought one of his abstract pieces was. She told him it looked like a loaf of bread on a table. She discussed the piece with him for a minute. It made me smile to see my almost ten year old discussing art in such a grown up fashion. Later on we all had dinner out on the deck and then met Kelly, Tim and the kids for ice cream in town.

Today John worked again. Samantha and I spent the morning watching re-runs of "Gilmore Girls"... my most favorite show of all times... that and "Law & Order" of course. Then we took our coffee out into the back yard and each of us took a book to read. Samantha sat up in her play house reading and I sat on the bench under the tree in the shade. I read "Night" by Elie Wiesel. It was good but of course it made me cry. After I finished the book I sat there and thought about how thankful I am to have all of the freedoms we do today. I thought about how sometimes we take for granted the things have: our home, toys, television, clothing and even the things around us like spring flowers and how "Night" is a reminder that not everyone has these things and, not everyone has the freedom of being able to see their family and friends when they want. I am truly thankful for the freedom to be able to walk into my own home and hug my daughter...

No comments: