Monday, December 29, 2008

Oh no...

So, I received an email form a friend of mine that she had just joined Facebook. I had overheard several of the girls at work talking about it so I thought: why not give it a try. It was really easy to sign up. You enter in your email and it pulls up your address book so that you can check people you want to notify that you have signed up. I checked a few names, like 4 or 5 names and then down at the bottom there is this button that says CONFIRM ALL. I pushed this button only to realize that it has just sent a notice about my joining Facebook to EVERYONE in my address book. Let me clarify that a bit... that is EVERYONE I HAVE EVER SENT AN EMAIL TO: my daughter's teaches going back to kindergarten, the police officer who is doing our block watch, everyone in our neighborhood I have corresponded with for the block watch, my dad's secretary, my father-in-law and on and on... I can't even imagine who else it was sent to that I have not thought of! I have not brought myself to go through my aol address book because I know I will cry. On a less embarrassing note though I have found lots of people whom I had lost touch with so I guess it's not all bad.

5 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Oh my! You're definitely not the first person that has happened to...I hear it's quite common. ;)

Amy said...

Oh how embarassing. Sounds like something that would happen to me. I've considered facebook, but I just have myspace.

Thanks for visiting my blog today :)

Tara said...

In the grand scheme of things, it's not so bad.
If it makes you feel any better: I work with a man named James, who goes by Jim, who is the creative director for a company who produces health supplements. We are working together on a project for a weight loss patch that is often referred to as "the fat patch" in emails. James is the name this man uses on his email address. I also work with a sign vendor by the name of Jim, who uses Jim on his email. This sweet, sweet man loves to eat and is a little overweight. Two weeks ago I was rushing to send an email about the "fat patch" to James, who I think of as Jim. I typed Jim in the address bar, didn't even look to see whose name had come up since I was rushing to get out the door and, well, you guessed the rest...

nikkicrumpet said...

OH Kate that is quite funny! I know not for you but I sure got a chuckle out of it. You can just imagine some of those people seeing the email and going "hmmmm" I'm sure it will help you reconnect with people you miss though. And it may save some of us from making the same mistake!

Heidi said...

I did the same thing with my book club. Luckily only a few responded anyways!