Thursday, September 20, 2007

I hate that John has hutt his back and is in pain. I hate that I can't do anything to make it better. And, I hate that he is stubborn and insists on going to work which consists on putting on about 50 pounds of gear supported by his back.



Every year we go apple picking at the best orchard. It is set on a hillside and the trees are not is such rigid rows like some orchards. Nor is is overly comercial. There is a pond and a barn with home made apple treats. This year we called to see when picking was to start and the woman told us they have no fruit at all this year due to the really severe frost we had this spring. What? No apples! This is not good. I spent the rest of the day thinking about how sad it is for the family who owns the orchard.



Last night Samantha and I met Kelly and the kids at Skyline for kids night. Samantha and Tara actually did the craft this time. Usually they say it's more for little kids. But tonight it was a coloring contest for which the winner receives 2 tickets to King's Island. I think the girls mostly did it because Danny couldn't and he really wanted to but it was for kids 10 and under. One of the mom's from Kelly's preschool has started coming to kids night. Her name is Tasey. I remember it because it is like tastey without the second t. Anyway, she sits at the table next to us and we all chat while the kids eat, play, or do what ever it is they do while we are trying to pretend they don't exist. Even though Skyline is fast food and all I really enjoy going each week and chatting with everyone. This week Ciera, our regular waitress was not there and Whitney thought my drink order was strange. Ciera always makes me some sort of really good concoction of lemondade and iced tea. She gets just the right amounts of lemonade, sweet tea and unsweet tea... but I just felt like a dork trying to explain it to Whitney. She said it reminded her of Jeff Lewis from the show "Flipping Out" on Bravo! Oh my God! I can't believe I've been compared to him, not sure whether to take it as a compliment or not. Whitnery did come up with a great drink though! At least I'm quite easily satisfied.



After Skyline we went over to Kelly's for a while. Last week Sean had been upset about something and I had promised him a ride, by himself, in my car. The kid never forgets a thing so this week I gave him his ride. Now that he is in kindergarten he seems so grown up. We had the most lovely conversation. He's such a cute kid. Samantha and Tara played for a while and Kelly, Tim and I sat outside on the fron patio and talked:


  • They had never heard the story about John being left in the Georgia room at his interview for the police department...

  • We talked about how Kelly never cries... you know, now that she said it I realize that I have never seen her cry...

  • We talked about nature vs nurture and the whole "no child left behind" topic...

  • We talked about all the news we read in the local paper...

And, I just have to write about, again how much I love Samantha's teachers and the school in general. Both of her teachers have the best senses of humor. I think it adds so much to the learning experience when it is fun.

No comments: