Monday, January 15, 2007

Friends


I was thinking about friendship today. I suppose the topic was on my mind after seeing the play, "A Year With Frog & Toad" where the message was, what would I do without you as my friend. Frog and Toad were so appreciative of their friendship and chose many ways to celebrate it. They raked the leaves out of each others yards, sent each other mail and made cookies together. So, I decided to take a look at the friends in my life and what they mean to me.
My first friend was Carolyn. We met in nursery school and are still in touch today despite going to different colleges and settling down in different states. I have a great respect for Carolyn and admire what a strong woman she is.
In school I met Beth. I was drawn to Beth because she possessed qualities I did not. Mainly, she was a cheerleader and popular with the boys.
There was Kate. Kate was my competition. This was a slightly painful friendship because I felt as though I had to constantly be on my toes to stay a step ahead of her.
Then in high school there was Peggy. I admired her intelligence and her weirdness. Peggy was quite weird and didn't care what anyone else thought of her. I loved this about her because in high school I was concerned what others thought about me. It wasn't until years later that I fully appreciated all Peggy taught me about being an individual.
In college there was Jody. I secretly wanted a family like hers. They were so close and had so many traditions they shared together. I still keep in touch with Jody.
I miss Amy. We lived together after college and had a falling out. Who knows what it was about, I can't remember. I loved how Amy had created a perfect life for herself and had everything just so. I learned a lot from her that I've incorporated into my life today.
And Shawntel. I cherish her beauty and kindness. We see each other several times a year and I always wish it was more.
Once out in the real worked I met my husband. He is truly my best friend. I can not remember my life before he was in it nor can I imagine my life without him. He possesses so many qualities, too many to name, that I admire. Sometimes it seems we are exact opposites but that is why we work perfectly together.
Neighbors make good friends I found when I met Denise. I admire Denise's caring nature as well as her great relationship with her husband.
Along came my daughter. I see myself in her and love what I see. I often wish I was her.
I was drawn to Lesley right away. She knows how to get what she wants. I admire that she is not afraid of change and knows how to use it to her advantage.
Work produced Susie. Susie is the most amazing person. She is the perfect person to talk through a difficult situation with as she always knows the right thing to say.
Speaking of right, I cannot overlook my mother. I may not have always considered her my friend but I do now as I see so much of myself in her. Not to mention, she is always right.
Through my daughter I met Kelly. I feel like I have known Kelly forever and know if we'd grown up together we would have been friends. I am in awe of what a great mother she is. I always find myself making lists of "things I have to tell Kelly" and always look forward to talking to her.
My most recent friend is Jennifer. I admire her artistic abilities. I know the more I get to know her the more she will help bring out my creativeness.
It seems as though the friends who mean the most to us are always a part of our lives whether we have stayed in touch with them or not. I am so thankful for the amazing people I choose to call my friends and am grateful for the way each of them has influenced my life.

No comments: